Fire sweeps through over 15 shops, houses at Tema Community Two

Some residents and traders at Tema Community Two, near the mosque close to the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) flats, are counting their loss after fire swept through over 15 structures and shops last night, February 1, 2023.

The fire outbreak, which started around 18:30 hours on Wednesday consumed several shops.

Seven shops were described as totally burnt. The shops included two drinking spots, one electrical repair shop, one bicycle repairing shop, one pen for livestock, and two places of abode.

Mr Joseph Kojo Anderson a shop owner in an interview at the scene, told the Ghana News Agency that the fire started in one of the drinking spots where a lady was alleged to be cooking on a gas cylinder.

He said they suddenly heard an explosive sound and rushed inside, only to see the whole place on fire, which later spread quickly to other shops.

He could not tell if the explosion came from the gas cylinder or an electric wire.

Mr. Joseph Monney, a drinking spot operator who was also affected, told the GNA that: “I was sleeping when I had a called that my shop was on fire. I rushed there to see that all my goods had totally been destroyed by the fire.

“My livestock shop also have been burnt by the fire with all the livestock inside.”

Another victim, Mr. Abubakari Mumin, told the GNA that his house had been totally burnt down.

“My house was burnt down, and I was not able to retrieve a dress to wear as I am speaking to you, the only thing I have is the dress and the slippers I’m wearing.”

Mr Emmanuel Aniwah, Chief Executive Officer of Health Reform Herbal Clinic, told the GNA that all the glass windows and doors at the clinic got smashed as a result of the explosion and the heat that emanated from it.

The residents, however, commended the personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) for the quick response to the distress call.

They said: “When we called them, they came early with three fire tenders filled with water and started working immediately.”

The GNFS Tema Divisional Officer Grade III Fiifi Oppong, told the GNA, at the scene that the cause of the fire could be immediately ascertained but “investigations would commence” soon.

DOIII Oppong advised residents to desist from illegal electrical connection and, if necessary, they should consult a certified electrician.

SOurce: GNA


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.