Prosecution granted access to track phone calls of suspects in Asamankese chieftaincy violence

A Circuit court in Koforidua has granted an application t investigators in the Asamankese Chieftaincy feud to track phone calls of some of the suspects who have denied their involvement in the attack on the Asamakese chief’s palace and forcefully aided a parallel chief’s installation.

The Court granted the application in order for the prosecution to complete investigations and charge the suspects involved.

The Prosecution led by Principal State Attorney, David K. Hodanu told the court they would have to track the phone calls of suspects in the lead-up to the December attack.

This, he indicated will help the prosecution establish the suspects’ complicity in the crime.


This is a second application the court had granted after a plea of the Attorney General in February to allow the Police investigators to conduct a ballistic forensic examination on weapons retrieved from suspects during the raid on December 20, last year.

The court had granted bail to the 31 suspects after appearing before it a few months ago.

They were arrested after thugs – allegedly hired by a faction in the chieftaincy dispute, Barima Pobi Asomaning – besieged the Asamankese palace to aid the performance of traditional rites for his enstoolment as a parallel Chief.


The armed thugs violently invaded the palace amidst the firing of gunshots.

According to a police report, nine persons sustained injuries and were treated at the Asamankese Government Hospital.

The Police, in the cause of the arrest, retrieved and seized 52 AA spent shells, one sidearm with two loaded magazines and one pump action gun from the Suspects.


Barima Pobi Asomaning has been claiming legitimacy to the Asamankese stool.

The revelation that the current occupant, Osabarima Adu Darko III, has been gazetted was believed to have triggered the violent incident.

After the incident, the area’s overlord, Okyenhene, Osagyefuo Amoatia Ofori Panin, implored the Ghana Police Service to restore peace and order to the area.


According to him, the impasse which resulted in the seizure and occupation of the Asamankese palace was an assault on the dignity and integrity of Okyeman.

In a statement reacting to the events, the Okyenhene clarified that “Osabarima Adu Darko III remains the legitimate Chief of Asamankese; thus the purported installation of Barima Pobi Asomanin II, is unlawful, irregular, uncustomary, and an aberration of Akyem Abuakwa custom and therefore null, void, and of no effect.”

He further stated that the said impasse had already been resolved, favouring Osabarima Adu Darko III and Barima Pobi Asomanin II fined.


The case has been rescheduled to August, 8.

Source: joyfmonline

Tagged:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.